Monday, October 24, 2011

Reviewed: iOS 5

I have been using iOS 5 for about 2 weeks now and am now ready to make a review of it. First I will review the update process, then the changes and what I liked and didn't like about each one.

Updating to iOS 5: I recommend you click download only when updating. This way you will not have to leave you device plugged into the computer during, what was for me, a 2 and a half hour download. Then just plug in your device and click update. Be sure not to interrupt the process in anyway as that will likely lead to a loss of all saved data on your device.  If this does happen to you don't panic all you have to do is plug your device back in and restore it to factory settings and click the NEXT to LAST backup with your device's name.  This might also take a while depending on how much you have on your device.  I had to do this but all was fixed.

Changes:

Double click home key while on lock screen reveals camera button.
             I like this update because of how easy it is to get in the camera app now, but I noticed that it does not put the app in the multitasking menu, which I found to be annoying.  Once in the home screen the only way to get the camera with hard keys if it is to lock the device and then double click the home key.
             Also something to note is that this feature is not on the iPad iOS 5 update.  My only guess is that it because Apple does not think you will be taking many pictures from you iPad.

Photo Stream.
             I love photo stream because it automatically syncs your photos to all your iOS devices and your computer.  I works wonderfully. My only complaint it that is doesn't work for videos which you still have to either dropbox or plug in to get onto your computer.

Documents in the Cloud.
             I was very excited for this update because as a college student write a lot of papers and being able to mobile edit them would be so great. However, this feature does not not work as advertised, yet.  I does sync your documents on iOS devices to other iOS devices and to the cloud but it does not sync to the apps on your computer.  All you can do is download copies onto your computer. You can't even edit it online you have to download and then re-upload it or edit using an iOS device.
             This is very disappointing but my guess is that apple will be updating iWork in the near future and that those new apps will work as they are supposed to work.

Safari.
             The updated safari only has tabbed browsing on the iPad but the reader function makes reading articles so much easier.  Also the reading list is very useful.  I just wished that I would save the pages for offline reading.

Pleasant surprises in iOS 5.
            The maps app now gives up to 3 route choices.  The calendar now has a week view in landscape orientation and the find my friends app is useful for meeting up with friends when they are close and allows you to hide from your friends if you would like.  Sadly this app does not work from icloud.com.


Thank you for reading if you have any questions please feel free to leave them in a comment.

2 comments:

  1. John, thanks for the review! Just to clarify, you weren't doing this as a PTP right, but just as a fun thing on your blog? (This is Rick)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is correct this was just a fun thing to do.

    ReplyDelete